- 1 large eggplant
- 3 large tomatoes, to match the diameter of the eggplant
- 0.4 lbs Bulgarian feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Juice of half lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the eggplant crosswise into ½” thick rounds. Lightly season them with salt and leave them aside for 30 minutes to let water come out of the eggplant.
- Once ready, drizzle some olive oil on top of each slice and grill them on a lightly oiled grill rack for 2 -3 minutes each side.
- Blend the basil leaves with 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon salt in an emersion blender until smooth.
- Cut the tomatoes crosswise to 1/4” thick rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Lightly oil the baking pan. Arrange 4 eggplant rounds side by side. Spread ½ tablespoon of the basil-garlic mixture on top of each one, then generously sprinkle feta crumbs. Top each with tomato rings. Add another layer of eggplant, basil spread, feta and tomato rounds and top with the rest of the crumbled feta.
- Drizzle some olive oil on top of each stack and bake for 15 minutes.